During trainings and conversations with Ticket Service Providers, we are often asked questions about The Work Number® and whether or not it is helpful. Here are the answers to those questions!
What is The Work Number®? The Work Number, owned by Equifax, is a company that provides multiple human resources, payroll functions, and automated earning verification services. One of The Work Number’s most popular features is its employment and income verification service which is used by lenders, pre-employment screeners, government agencies and others who need to verify a person’s employment status or income. Because of the work ENs perform under their Agreement with SSA, ENs are generally eligible to participate in The Work Number as a Social Services Provider.
What information can The Work Number® provide? Once approved as an authorized Work Number User, Ticket Service Providers are able to obtain current pay period employment and income information (by pay period) using the nation’s largest proprietary database of payroll information. Although every employer does not participate in The Work Number system, according to The Work Number their database contains more than 50 million files that are updated each pay period through direct feeds from contributing employers and that number increases each month. As an added benefit, The Work Number reports usually provide address and/or phone number information for individuals as a part of the report.
How does the system work?
Authorized Ticket Service Providers who have written consent from the clients they serve, can login to the system, enter the client’s social security number and instantly see what employment and income information is available for that person for specific time periods. After reviewing the earning records available, there is an option to select and print the report showing the earning information. The printed report can then be used as acceptable evidentiary evidence for Ticket payment submission. This is especially helpful when having difficulty obtaining pay stubs or earning statements from Ticketholders assigned to your organization, or when trying to find updated contact information for Ticketholders with whom you may have lost contact.
What is the cost for participating with The Work Number®?
The Work Number requires an application and payment for a site visit (usually a one-time fee of $75.00). In addition, there is a fee for using The Work Number. The fee is generally based on 1) looking up a SSN number to determine if records are available; and 2) viewing/printing an employer earning report, when found. Note: Use caution when viewing or printing information for an individual’s Employer(s) as charges are based on each report. For instance, if you run reports for an individual who has 5 different employers, you will be charged for 5 reports.
Important things to remember when using The Work Number®:
- Be sure you understand the pricing model and what you will be charged if you view a record.
- Written authorization from the Ticketholder is required to look up their information at The Work Number. The authorization must be kept on file, and the information accessed should be limited to the duration of time between Ticket assignment and Ticket unassignment/termination.
- As a best practice, many ENs include the authorization form to obtain earning information from employers or third-party employment verification companies as part of the initial IWP packet. An example of the authorization form is available at the Members’ area of NENA’s website.
- The Work Number agreement allows for periodic random audits to ensure authorization forms are on file.
- Prior to granting access to their system, The Work Number requires an on-site inspection to ensure proper PII security is in place. The charge for the on-site inspection is $75.00 which is included on the first Invoice.
I hope this information has been helpful. If you have any additional questions about using The Work Number, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact The Work Number directly by using this link: https://www.theworknumber.com/